Thursday 9 December 2010

John Lennon

Just a thought………………..on this day, 30 years ago, I was in Indianapolis, Indiana. on the final leg of a two month trip around the States. I woke in my motel room to hear of the death of John Lennon. I had, inevitably , been a fan of the Beatles (the Stones too, just to destroy the myth that you could only like one band or the other) and I also liked much of his solo work, but I wouldn’t have described myself as a hardcore Lennon fan.

A little while later, I found myself driving down the road with tears streaming down my face, not entirely for the death of the man but, perhaps, for the death of something much deeper. At that point I was no longer a youth, in fact I was rapidly approaching my 29th birthday, but the shocking news seemed trigger the realisation that things had changed and would never be quite the same again.

So, what’s my point? Nothing of any significance really. It’s just that in recent years I had always
 believed that I had become sentimental as I’d grown older. Perhaps I was wrong and, in reality, I always have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment